Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Easy Day


I had an easy day today after yesterday’s World Cup.   We just hung out and went for an easy recovery ride over to Kortrijk for some coffee. One nice thing about living in a house with 20 guys is that it’s pretty easy to get a little group together to go ride. It’s a good thing because the weather is so crappy here that everyone helps motivate each other to get out and ride. Right now there is probably about 6 in. of snow on the ground and the Belgium’s have no way to deal with it.  The airports close and the roads don’t get plowed or salted. It all makes for some dicey training rides but good fun!

Gearing up for the ride.
 
The Kalmthout World Cup was really hard, as it should be. I didn’t really know what to expect as far as how I would ride.  I did ride the exact same course last year in the just a about the same conditions, so I knew what the course would be like. It’s a fun course, mostly flat with a couple fly-overs and four sets of stairs dug into small mounds. The race went alright for me.  I started in the very back just like normal, so I only had one direction to go – up. My start was ok and I knew with the icy conditions I just needed to be patient and not kill myself because it wouldn’t get me any where. By the second lap there was more room to pass and to go faster which landed me on the ground in an icy corner. I led the assault on the ground with my knee and we all know how that works out. Luckily it was the corner before the pit, so just jumped up ran into the pit and grabbed a new bike and I was on my way.   I have not been riding the greatest lately, so I was pretty glad I finished 49th – which is not great but it was on the lead lap. My knee is sore but ok.  We don’t race again until this Saturday so I should be good to good by the weekend.

Having Coffee and getting warm.

My real Belgium waffle.


No comments:

Post a Comment