Thursday, October 1, 2009

Riding a Bike...

Riding a bike has been a part of my life as long as I can remember. Both my parents ride, and my grandfather owns a small bike shop in Atchison, Kansas (Reynolds Bicycles). Think I started out on a 12 inch bike with training wheels and have gone up from there. When I was 9, my grandfather entered me in my first race at the Kansas Sunflower State Games. Ten years later I’m still hooked on racing and can’t seem to get enough of it. I’ve been on several road cycling teams over the years, and most recently the Mercy Elite Cycling Team as an elite category 1 racer. My goal has always remained the same – to become a professional cyclist. Throughout the years I’ve been very fortunate to have great mentors and coaching to help guide my development as a cyclist. I’m currently being coached by friend and fellow cyclist, Adam Mills, owner of Source Endurance. Three years ago I finally tried cyclocross, a form of bike racing on courses featuring pavement, grass, sand, mud, steep hills and obstacles requiring the rider to quickly dismount, carry the bike while navigating the obstruction and remount in one motion. I thought ‘cross would be good training in the off-season to keep me in shape during the winter and ready for the next road season. Well, now I love cross racing as much as road racing. The sport of cyclocross has grown in popularity in the US and is hugely popular in Europe. This year I will be racing for the KCCX/Verge Elite Cyclocross Team. With an emphasis on junior and U23 development, KCCX is committed to developing young riders and I’m very excited to be part of this team.

My goal this year in cyclocross is to attend the U23 Eurocross_Camp in Belgium, and hopefully qualify for U23 Worlds in Czech Republic. In order to attend the Euro Camp in December, there are several UCI qualifying events that I must race (check out my schedule and results).

With the continued help and support from all my family, friends, and local cycling communities, I am confident I will succeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment