Tuesday, November 9, 2010

L.A. Cross Recap

This past weekend I was in L.A. for the two UCI cross races at Griffith Park. It’s a beautiful park and the weather was perfect. The courses were on a hillside next to the famous Greek theatre and were very twisty and technical with a lot of loose dirt and gofer holes. In fact, probably one of the bumpiest courses I’ve ever ridden. The best part of the park was during warm up when I rode the climb to the Griffith Observatory which overlooks all of L.A. I had a good random draw on Saturday and started second row. I had a good start and was sitting top 10, but after a few bobbles and getting caught behind a crash all in the first lap I soon found myself dropping back. I raced hard and tried to minimize the damage but soon realized I was out of the top 10 and out of the points so decided to save myself for Sunday and finished 20th. Started back row on Sunday, but the race went much better overall and ended up 12th – still not in the points but not bad considering I started in the back. Overall, the races went okay and I feel that my form is coming up. And I had the opportunity to stay with our family friends down in Irvine and appreciate their help and support at the races.
This weekend I’ll be traveling to Ft. Collins, CO for the third USGP weekend of racing. The USGP is a great series and I’m looking forward to racing on the new venue in Ft. Collins. Many thanks to Joan Hanscom for promoting such a premiere series. The weather is looking good with mid-40’s and sunshine for the weekend. It’s getting close to Euro-Cross Camp selection time. It will be interesting to see who makes the selection after this weekend of racing in Colorado.

No comments:

Post a Comment